Beyond managing timesheets and issuing paychecks, payroll is the over-arching process of handling wages, taxes, and reporting. Payroll processing is probably your company’s largest expense and can be the most time-consuming, however, Wurk greatly simplifies and automates it all in one area of the system, reducing errors, simplifying operations, and ensuring tax-compliance.
Payroll is typically processed every two weeks, but can be processed weekly, biweekly, semi-monthly, or monthly. You may receive notifications in your email or on your Dashboard to remind you to prepare timesheets for payroll in time for processing. Additionally, some organizations automatically process timesheets with or without your review.
If you change banks or company address, you or your Administrator need to contact Wurk Support (email@example.com) to update these connections in Wurk. This ensures that payroll will fund from the right source and any related mail will go to the right place.
Also, if your employees' mailing addresses change and they receive physical checks mailed from Wurk, their address information in Wurk must be updated on their profiles. Otherwise, they will not receive their checks (therefore we recommend paperless paydays).
How are Timesheets Processed?
As a manager, you will work with timesheets to help get them ready for payroll and submit them. An administrator or payroll specialist will then further review them and process them for payroll. In smaller organizations, the same person or group may do all these tasks.
How is Payroll Done?
You will generally find everything you need to do in Wurk under My To Dos, your Dashboard (at the bottom of the Main Menu), and on the Main Menu under Team>My Team, Time, and Payroll. Below is a list of common tasks that you may be asked to complete:
1. Check your My To Dos and Dashboards to make sure you’re handling urgent, time-sensitive issues like reviewing and approving employees’ timesheets, hours, and pay. This is also where you will see any time off requests submitted by your employees for your approval/rejection.
2. Maintain employee information like salary, hourly rates, department/charge codes, personal information, and HR.
3. Manage schedules and/or shifts so employees can plan when they work, choose and trade shifts, and accumulate hours
4. Review timesheets and submit them for processing
5. Viewing time off balances and requests
6. Onboarding new hires so they complete all paperwork and forms, add their Cannabis badges, and can access their Wurk profiles, timesheets, clock-in/out, and work with benefits, etc.
All this activity helps your business ultimately run a faster, easier payroll.
Making the Most of Wurk: Paperless Paydays (Using Direct Deposit)
We recommend "paperless paydays" as a best practice: to achieve paperless paydays, you should encourage your employees to opt for Direct Deposit. This provides the following advantages over printed, mailed checks:
|Advantages of Direct Deposit for Employers||Advantages of Direct Deposit for Employees|
|Cost savings||Fastest method for depositing funds into your account|
|Reduced risk of check fraud and lost or stolen checks||Reduces time required for checks to clear|
|Greater control over payroll and payroll expenses||Reduces chances of lost or stolen checks|
|Timely payment of paychecks, even when employees are away||No extra time spent visiting banks or ATMs to deposit checks|
|Reduced bookkeeping because of immediate payments into employee accounts (no delays in cashing)||Payments can be divided automatically among designated employee accounts|
|Online transaction reports available immediately||Typically no cost for direct deposit; many banks even offer free checking if you use direct deposit|
If you do not see options for Direct Deposit, your Administrator may need to contact Wurk Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have it enabled.